Black Friday shopping is the much-awaited event where deals overflow, and savings are at their top. But surviving in bustling crowds & maximizing savings could be a daunting task without Black Friday shopping tips.
In this blog article, you will learn money-saving techniques for crowd management shopping, ultimately making you master black Friday shopping.
Let’s start with the following.
- Early morning is the best time for black Friday shopping.
- You should make a black Friday shopping budget & stick to it.
- Alternative items from other brands could be money-saving techniques in black Friday shopping.
- Make a black Friday shopping list by focusing on long-term usability.
- Before buying from retailers, check their return policy.
- Buy a credit card that has a cashback facility all over the year.
How does a Black Friday budget save in shopping?
Having a Black Friday budget can give you financial freedom after shopping. Spending emotion may allure you to spend extra money, which could be a financial burden after the month.
So, you should make a black Friday shopping budget based on a reasonable percentage of income, what items you need, & other essential family expenditures such as holiday expenses and bills.
Let’s see how an advanced black Friday shopping budget helps us to save money.
- Budget black Friday deals:
Emma’s monthly income is $7,000 & she wants to create a shopping budget for black Friday.
According to the personal finance principle, Emma should allocate 5% to 10% of her monthly income & stick to it. Because, after black Friday, Emma may face some financial hardship to meet essential home expenses.
I can understand that black Friday ads have a lot of influence on changing shopping habits. Perhaps this is the first black Friday for Emma & she is very excited to buy as many as she can.
So, Emma makes a budget for black Friday shopping based on 10% of her monthly income.
Black Friday budget =monthly income×10%
Perhaps you are familiar with shopping budget & want to know how to get the best black Friday deals ideas in 2023.
Best deals for Black Friday ideas?
You can get the best deals for Black Friday ideas by prior research. It would help if you researched in advance about the deals and discounts offered for Black Friday. Previous information will help you to get the lowest price for your desired items.
Let’s understand it from the following perspective,
Best black Friday TV deals:
Charlotte wants to buy a T.V. for $4,00, whose historical price is $6,00. Below are the steps that Charlotte can do for black Friday TV deals.
- Online search: Charlotte can search electronic store ads like Walmart, Best Buy, and Target by writing “Black Friday (retailers name, i.e., Walmart, Best Buy, Target) ads 2023 or just visit their websites.
Then, visit shopping sites PriceGrabber, CamelCamelCamel, or Honey to check price drops.
- Subscribe to their newsletters: Charlotte can Sign up for newsletters to get updates on price drops or any new exclusive deals.
- Set up Alert: Charlotte can use Slick Deals or Price Tracker to set alerts for her specific T.V. brand.
- Install retailers’ apps or check social media: Charlotte can get updated announcements from social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram or can install retailer’s apps for exclusive deals.
- Early access offers: Charlotte can be a member of any loyalty programs or credit cards that allow her early access to sales. This access will help Charlotte to know about exclusive deals.
- Compare: Lastly, Charlotte has to compare retailers’ offerings, such as which retailers offer higher prices & what additional incentives they provide, like lengthy warranties or bundled packages.
- Decide: By following the steps mentioned above, Charlotte can decide which retailer is good for T.V. Therefore, when you are mentally prepared for black Friday shopping, remove emotion from your heart & mind.
Shopping means a list of essential items that have long-term utility. Making the correct shopping list could differ based on individual needs & financial situation. Therefore, as a shopper, your next question should be the following.
How to make a Black Friday shopping list?
Before making a Black Friday shopping list, consider what you bought last year or last black Friday but didn’t use it. We purchased many items that became valueless after a short period. Investing in temporary use commodities can make your financial position worse in this inflation era.
I suggest including those items that you are going to use for the long term.
Let’s see what we should include in the shopping list.
Black Friday shopping list:
Below, I have given a black Friday shopping list for $2,450.
- Apple MacBook Air M2
- Dell XPS 13
- Acer Swift 5
- Check Apple Store and Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and Target for discounts.
- Jeans, sweaters, winter coat and shoes.
- Check Gap, American Eagle Outfitters, Nordstrom, Macy’s, JCPenney & Kohl’s for maximum discount.
Home Appliances budget-$750:
- You can divide home appliances into five categories based on need, namely Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Washers and dryers, Cooktops and ovens, & other necessary devices.
- Following are the items that fall under the five groups mentioned above: Ninja Foodi NeverStick 10-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, Shark Vertex Ultralight Cordless Stick Vacuum, G.E. Profile Smart Gas Cooktop with WiFi Connect, Whirlpool Top-Load Washer and Dryer Set with SmartHQ, Whirlpool Smart Dishwasher with TotalClean Pro, & Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator with Ice & Water Dispenser.
- Check Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, & Target for maximum discounts.
Gaming Console budget-$450:
- You can buy Nintendo Switch Lite, Xbox Series S, & PlayStation 5.
- You can shop from any well-known brand.
- Check Best Buy and Target for discount offers.
- Gift items could be a watch (Apple Watch Series 8), mobile (Samsung Galaxy S23), Toys and games (Barbie Dreamhouse, Hot Wheels Ultimate Garage Playset, L.O.L. Surprise! O.M.G. Fierce Royal Bee Fashion Doll), & bags (Michael Kors Women’s Jet Set Travel East/West Tote).
- Check Toys “R” Us, Amazon, & Walmart for the highest discount.
- You can budget for items related to living that suddenly require, such as SodaStream Fizzi Sparkling Water Maker, Keurig K-Mini Plus Single Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Maker, Philips Hue Smart Bulb Starter Kit, Amazon Echo Dot, & Sonos One.
- Check Best Buy, Target & Amazon for good discounts.
Price is an integral part of black Friday shopping & many shoppers misunderstand it. If you know the price match concept or are looking for a detailed application, then you are going to ask the following question.
Price match policy definition?
Price match policy is a selling strategy adopted by retailers to attract customers by beating competitor’s prices. Under this policy, a buyer will get the best deal without shopping extensively.
Let’s understand it from an example,
Price match policy:
John purchased an iPhone 14 Pro worth $799 from Verizon under the Price match policy. Later, he found that AT&T sells it at $7,50. John takes screenshots & videos as proof to claim a refund under the price match policy.
Let’s see how Verizon refunds to John,
· First, Verizon will check the proof & visit the AT&T stall to verify the price.
· If found valid, Verizon will refund $49 ($799-$7,50) to match the competitor’s $7,50.
After pricing, coupon & promo codes play a vital role in event shopping. So, clearly understanding these can save you financially from Black Friday shopping. If you are serious about Black Friday shopping, your next question could be the following.
Can you use coupons on Black Friday?
Yes, but some retailers may not give you extra discounts for Coupons and Promo Codes if they offer maximum off. You can find Coupons and Promo Codes information in newspapers, magazines, online, and even in-store.
Let’s understand how Black Friday promo code saves you in black Friday shopping,
Mason buys jeans worth $75 from Macy’s with a 50% waiver. If Mason wants to use Coupons for more discounts, then Macy’s will not grant it. OR Macy’s doesn’t use Coupons and Promo Codes to reduce prices.
Mason purchased jeans from Walmart at a 20% discount. Walmart is accepting Dollar-off coupons worth $15.
Jeans regular price at Mason=$150
Jeans price at Mason (black Friday) =$75 ($150-$150×50%)
Jeans price at Walmart=Regular price-regular price× discount- Dollar-off coupons
Higher discounts will not accept Coupons and Promo Codes in black Friday shopping.
Lower discounts will accept Coupons and Promo Codes in black Friday shopping.
Product return facility can save us financially after shopping. We can’t guarantee that if we buy 100 items, there will be no defective ones. For this reason; as a shopper, your next question could be.
Can you return Black Friday items?
Yes, you can return Black Friday items. Black Friday returns duration is 15 days to a maximum of 90 days, depending on the retailer’s policy & buying of things.
For example, electronic appliances have shorter periods compared to other durable items.
Black Friday return policy?
Black Friday’s return policy is a marketing strategy to attract customers by allowing return options within a specified period.
Say Liam buys a Sony PlayStation 5 Console from Walmart, whose Black Friday price is $499.99. After a few days, Liam found that the PlayStation didn’t work correctly, so he wanted to return it.
Let’s see what happens,
Walmart's Black Friday 2023 return policy is if anyone buys any items between October 1 and December 31, 2023, he can return until January 31, 2024.
That means if Liam buys between October 1 and December 31, 2023, Walmart will accept return items up to January 31, 2024.
This time is considerably flexible to save money from black Friday shopping, especially for a hasty shopper.
Now, you may be curious to know how the return option saves us from black Friday shopping. Let’s see the next question.
How much do you save on Black Friday?
You can save 20% to 50% money using the Black Friday returns facility, but before shopping from retailers on Black Friday, ask them about the return policy. Some may have similar return policies as the rest of the year, some may have only for black Friday sales, and some may not have any return policy.
Let’s understand it in detail.
Black Friday returns:
Below are the steps that show how you can save money in black Friday shopping by return facility:
- Lower shopping risk: If you are a buyer who changes minds frequently, a return policy can save you by offering exchange items or refund money. But there may be restocking fees, so read the return policy in detail.
Say Delilah buys a Kendra Scott Elisa pendant necklace worth $65 with a 30-day return policy from Target. Some days later, Delilah found it Best Buy at $60. So, Delilah wants to return it to save $5.
In this condition,
Target will return Delilah $65 by taking the watch. But Delilah discovers that Target has a restoring charge of $5. Ultimately, her savings will be $0.
So, before black Friday shopping, understanding the return policy can save you from shopping.
If the opposite thing happens, i.e., Delilah buys a watch worth $65 from Target that has no restocking fees.
In this situation,
Target will refund Delilah $65 & not charge any restocking inventory charge. So, Delilah can save $5.
After hearing Best Buy's lower price, they will give Delilah a $5 discount if they find the same model.
- Flexible gift items: A gift item return policy can save you financially & socially. Sometimes, the recipient may not like your gift item, so they get a chance to exchange that item.
- Financial protection against big purchases: You have shopped a lot of items but at home find some defective. Do you have this type of buying experience? If yes, don’t worry; this is a common problem that faces most of us.
In the above situation, two things are going to happen to you.
- If your big purchase has a return policy, you will quickly get a refund or exchange without any trouble.
- If there is no return policy, then you are going to lose money for defective items.
Let’s see a mathematical example,
You buy a bundle of electronics items from AT&T worth $4,000. After a few days, you have found some defective items worth $1,200. So,
Without a return option, you will lose $1,200, a significant amount in this inflation era.
With a return policy, you will save $1,200, a substantial financial relief.
- Monetary coverage for emotional shopping: Shopping is an art of money saving. Are you Surprised? Because we spend a lot of money on shopping, I am saying the opposite.
Let’s understand it from the following scenario;
You are an impulsive purchaser who loves to buy without thinking. I’m not criticizing you; without personal finance knowledge, everyone falls under impulsive buyer. According to the finance principle, first, think about the long-term needs & want of family items, then make a list & allocate funds proportionally.
Shopping behavior is a psychological action that no one can erase quickly. Therefore, checking the return policy saves you financially if you later realize some items, you don’t need or want.
- Checking return period: Some retailers may give you a return option only for the holiday season, whereas others may provide an extended period on black Friday. Usually, a lengthy duration gives you more return flexibility than a shorter one. To save money, choose the retailers that provide extended return options.
Okay, I have learnt much about black Friday return, but I still don’t know when Black Friday shopping starts. Does your mind ask this question? If yes, then the following question will satisfy your quarry.
What time does black Friday shopping start?
Day after Thanksgiving. In the U.S.A., black Friday starts on November 24, the next day of Thanksgiving.
However, some stores start selling in the first week of November, & some begin at midnight after Thanksgiving.
Below are the details about the black Friday opening time.
- Big Retail Chains: Retail stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Kohl and Macy’s start shopping on Thanksgiving evening, usually between 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM.
- Mall Stores: 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM on Black Friday.
- Online Retailers: Online retailers, like Amazon, start shopping online all day earlier than Thanksgiving.
Perhaps you are new to Black Friday & thinking which time is suitable for shopping. Morning & evening both have saving benefits, but the following question will help you more to decide which time is good for you.
Best time to go Black Friday shopping?
Morning. In the morning, you will get the available item with the best deal & minimum crowd.
Below I have given a comparative table that helps you to understand the difference between early & late shopping as well as which one could be more money saving options.
|Inventory availability||High with doorbuster deals||You will get limited high-demand items with a good discount facility on the remaining items.|
|Tiered discounts||High on demanded items||Higher on remaing inventory|
|Crowds||High. You will experience long lines and rushed shopping.||Low. You will experience relaxed shopping with a limited selection.|
|Best deal availability||High with limited stock items||Low with limited demandable stock items|
|Price||High due to unique collections||Low due to ordinary stock|
|Money saving possibility||High||Low|
|Saving percentage||27 to 50%||18 to 31%|
Thinking about alternative items is one of the promising strategies to save money. Alternative shopping listings help you eliminate the special events craze & also give you peace of mind. Do you care about alternative products? If yes, then your next question should be the following one.
What is a Black Friday shopping alternative?
Black Friday shopping alternative is a strategy to select the same item from multiple options. This shopping alternative helps you to save money as well as gives you mental peace during Black Friday crowds.
Let’s see an example of how Black Friday alternatives help you to save in shopping.
Black Friday alternative:
Emily wants to purchase a blender under $500 on Black Friday. Her first choice is the Vitamix A3500 Ascent Series Smart Blender, but she included the Breville BBL921SS Super Q Blender & KitchenAid KSB565 Blender as an alternative blender in black Friday.
The regular price of the Vitamix A3500 Ascent Series Smart Blender is $749.95 with a 33% black Friday discount. So, new price= $499.95 ($749.95-$749.95×33%). The regular price of Breville BBL921SS Super Q Blender is $399.99 with a 25% black Friday discount. So, the new price = $299.9925 ($399.99- $399.99 ×25%).
The regular price of the KitchenAid KSB565 Blender is $299.99, with a 33.34% black Friday discount. So, the new price = $199.99 ($299.99 - $299.99 ×33%).
- Saving option-1:
Save money = Vitamix A3500 Ascent Series Smart Blender – Breville BBL921SS Super Q Blender.
- Saving option-2:
Save money = Vitamix A3500 Ascent Series Smart Blender – KitchenAid KSB565 Blender
So, Emily can save $199.9575 to $299.96 by adopting black Friday shopping alternative techniques.
84% of Americans use credit cards to pay their bills. Are you one of them or thinking about a rewards program to save money for Black Friday shopping.? If yes, then the following three questions will guide you on how.
How do you save in shopping for a Black Friday reward?
You can save money by utilizing cashback and reward programs during Black Friday. For better savings, use a credit card that offers cashback & reward points for all types of purchases. You can also use referral bonuses or online cash back for selected items.
Let’s understand it from a financial scenario,
Black Friday reward:
Alice wants to buy a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid car on Black Friday, whose regular price is $29,225.
Alice has a credit card that gives 2% cash back for a car purchase. So, here, she will get=$584.5 ($29,225×2%)
Alice buys from an affiliate link that provides 3% cash back. Here, she will save=$876.75 ($29,225×3%)
Alice buys a store that has a loyalty program of 4.5%. Here, she will get=$1,315.125 ($29,225×4.5%)
In total, Alice will save=$584.5+$876.75+$1,315.125
Credit card benefits on Black Friday?
A credit card can give you financial benefits during black Friday shopping in many ways, such as Sign-Up Bonuses, 0% APR up to the first 15 months, Redeeming Rewards & many more.
Say Audrey wants to buy Rad Power Bikes Rad Rover 6 Plus, whose price on Black Friday is $1,699.
Credit card benefits:
Audrey has a credit card sign-up bonus of $150 for the first three months of $1,200 shopping. Here, she will save=$150
The credit card of Audrey gives 4% promotional offers for all types of e-bikes. Here, she will save = $67.96
Audrey’s credit card offers 2.5% cash back for black Friday shopping. Here, she will save = $42.475
So, Audrey will get $260.435 ($150+$67.96+$42.475) cash benefits using a credit card on Black Friday.
Black Friday credit card offer?
There is a lot of credit card that comes with unique promotional financial benefits for black Friday event. One card may differ from others in terms of flexible payment & money saving.
But, as a finance expert, I suggest you choose a credit card that not only gives cashback features at the special event but is also applicable after the event.
Below, I have given an overview of 6 commonly used credit cards in the USA that help you to select the best match for black Friday shopping.
|Credit card||Best for||Other Features||Sign up offer|
|Chase Freedom Flex||Purchase Protection||Intro APR=0% for the first 15 months. Annual fee=$0 Regular APR= 20.49% – 29.24% (Variable) Credit score=Excellent/Good||$200 bonus + 5% cash back on Gas and Grocery items after $500 shopping for the first three months, excluding Target and Walmart.|
|Prime Visa||Amazon||annual fee=$0 1% cashback=any type of purchase Regular APR= 17.99% – 26.99% (Variable) 2% cashback=restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores shopping. 5% cashback=Amazon purchase||$100 Amazon Gift Card|
|Capital One® Walmart Rewards® Card||General Shopping||Intro APR=0% Annual fee=$0 Regular APR=18.99% – 29.99% (Variable) Credit score=Good/Excellent||First 12 months 5% cash back for Walmart® stores purchase.|
|U.S. Bank Cash+® Visa Signature® Card||Department Stores||Intro APR=0% for the first 15 billing. Annual fee=$0 Regular APR=19.74% – 29.74% (Variable)||$200 bonus|
|Discover it® Student Cash Back||Students for black Friday shopping||No annual=$0, 1% cashback= all purchases Credit score=Fair/New to Credit Regular APR=18.24% – 27.24% (Variable)||Cashback Match|
|Target Red Card||Target shopping||Intro APR=0% Annual fee=$0 Regular APR=27.15% (variable) Credit score=N/A Rewards=5% discount for Target shopping,||$50|
Black Friday is considered a blessing for middle-class Americans because they can buy their desired product with maximum discount. However, high living expenditure due to inflation makes everyone financially insolvent. Do you suffer from inflation but want to give some gifts to your relatives? If the answer is yes, don’t worry. The following question will guide you on how to enjoy Black Friday shopping with limited money.
DIY Gifts in Black Friday shopping to save money?
DIY Gifts are more touchable than store-bought gifts. If you love sewing, designing, coloring or have the skill to create new things by utilizing wastage, then DIY Gifts could be a money saver on Black Friday.
Say Aria wants to gift a custom 5×7 inch rustic wood frame to his parents, whose black Friday price is $20 at Etsy. Aria loves to create unique things from her childhood & with just $10, she can buy raw materials for photo frames.
So, Aria has two options,
- Option 1: Pay $20 to Etsy for a photo frame.
- Option 2: Buy raw materials such as wood, metal, plastic, & glass for $10 from Amazon & make a photo frame.
By choosing option 2, Aria can save $10 from black Friday shopping.
Black Friday comes with unique deals & unparalleled money-saving opportunities. You should plan, be patient, set up a rational budget, and stay informed about the best deals of black Friday.
I hope the tips & strategies discussed in this article help you to maximize your savings in this Black Friday shopping.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are banks open on Black Friday?
Yes, most of the banks are open on Black Friday. Some states consider black Friday as a state holiday, which means banks will be closed or run banking operations for shorter periods.
Payday falls on black Friday?
Yes, Payday falls on black Friday. In the US, black Friday is celebrated on the fourth Friday of 24 November, a payday for the upcoming 2023 black Friday.
Do perfumes go on sale on black Friday?
Yes, perfumes go on sale on Black Friday. Black Friday could be an excellent day to shop for perfumes because you can buy at up to 50% discount.
Let’s see some of the best Black Friday perfume deals in 2023 in the USA,
Best black Friday deals on perfume:
The Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz (30% discount, regular price=$121.42).
Sauvage by Dior Eau de Toilette Spray 3.4 oz (50% discount, regular price=$159.98).
Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz (40% discount, regular price=$108.32).
The One Million by Paco Rabanne Eau de Toilette Spray 3.4 oz (30% discount, regular price=$99.98).
Tom Ford Oud Wood Eau de Parfum Spray 1.7 oz (25% discount, regular price=$173.32).
The information provided in this article is just the author’s view & only for educational purposes. By reading this, you agree that the information is not personal finance advice. Do your research before making your black Friday plan. Therefore, FinanceIdeas.org will not be liable for your financial loss if occur.